What is SoonerCare?

SoonerCare (Oklahoma Medicaid) is a health coverage program jointly funded by the federal and state government. This program helps pay some or all medical bills for many people who can’t afford them. The Oklahoma Health Care Authority (OHCA) is the state agency that administers the program and determines financial eligibility for the program.

Who Qualifies?

To qualify for SoonerCare, a person must:

  • Reside in Oklahoma;
  • Be a U.S. citizen or qualified alien (most immigrants who arrived after August 22, 1996 are barred from the program for five years);
  • Meet financial income and resources standards in certain categories.

What services are paid?

Covered health care services may include doctor visits, hospitalization and prescriptions. For more details please see the Benefits page.

What does it cost?

There is no cost for those who meet the income guidelines; however, co-pays may apply to some services.

Indian Health

Indian Health refers to health services that are available to American Indians through the Indian Health Service (IHS), tribal clinics and hospitals, and urban Indian health facilities. Native Americans are usually identified by a CDIB (certificate of degree of Indian blood) card that is issued by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Most Indian health facilities will require each person to provide a CDIB card, and some tribal facilities may require only a tribal enrollment card or proof of eligibility for a CDIB card.

Indian Health and SoonerCare

As SoonerCare members, some American Indians prefer to receive most of their healthcare at Indian health facilities for a number of reasons, including cultural sensitivity. You can get services at any Indian Health facility without a referral. However, your SoonerCare PCP may need to refer you for specialized services such as neurology, lab and X-ray, cardiology, etc., which may not be available at your Indian health clinic.

Choosing an Indian Health Provider

All SoonerCare members must have a Primary Care Physician (PCP). As an American Indian and a SoonerCare member you have the option to choose any provider in the Provider Directory as your PCP. The directory has a list of all PCP, including a separate list for Indian health providers. If you do not choose a PCP, SoonerCare Choice will automatically choose a provider for you.
You may sign up for SoonerCare online at www.mysoonercare.org or at any local Department of Human Services County office. Cherokee Nation Health Services facilities can assist you with an application for SoonerCare.

For more information visit www.okhca.org

PHAB Accredited

PHAB Accredited

How Healthy Are We?

How Healthy Are We?



See latest info on postponements due to COVID-19

Emergency Contact

In the event of a public health emergency, please contact (918) 772-4011.

CN Public Health

1325 E. Boone

Tahlequah, OK 74464